Wednesday, October 21, 2009

An anemone in cross stitch


I have been working on a bit of cross stitch, which comes from this book which was given to me by my father and stepmother.


I got quite a lot done on my recent holiday and I feel that with a proper spurt of energy I could even complete it.

The flowers are intended to be anemones. You can see this if you squint hard at it.

Here is the template from the book:

This is the most time consuming embroidery I have ever done. It takes a long long time to sew even just a little petal which is meditative or frustrating, depending on your point of view.

But now I am approaching the end I am wondering what I will do with it.

I started doing cross stitch because I wanted to make my own embroidered linen hand towels like these from Plane Tree Farm. You know the ones I mean, which are so delicate and beautiful you don't even want your guests using them.


I don't think my anemones will work as a hand towel because the fabric is wrong.
It has now been sitting at home untouched for weeks and I feel guilty when I look at it. I could always frame it but I really don't have a suitable spot for anything like a framed cross stitch flower. The other option may be to turn it into a little lavender pillow for a drawer.

Any ideas? I know at least one of my readers (Kristine) is an exceptional craftslady......

8 comments:

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hi Jane,
I think that you have done a great job so far. I don't thnk that I would have the patience.
If you don't know what to do with it, how about giving it to your Stepmother for Christmas? Just a thought as they gave you the book. Keep going. The end is in sight!!! ! XXXX

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Jane
WEll I think jackie's idea is a good one. Just hope your stepmum doesn't read your blog comments.. haha

Lovely work... keep at it I think.. you may think of more uses as you near completion...

Love the Plane Tree Farm also!

x Julie

Monika said...

Well, I am amazed! I would never be able to complete a project like that. Guess it comes from my grandma who started to knit a sweater for my brother who was four and it was ready whe he turned six... afterwards she made only scarfes :-))

Mise said...

I admire your patience and think anything you've put so much effort into should certainly be on visible display. Would it make a front panel for a pretty bag to carry a purse and keys on casual days?

Laura said...

It is so beautiful! I like the idea of the lavender sachet very much...I always have dreams of making beautiful ones for myself but never seem to get around to it. I certainly admire your patience and dexterity!

brismod said...

Have you thought about a book mark? You read so avidly and probably have many books on the go...

Jane said...

Thanks for your advice, I might just give it away...or perhaps the bookmark is the way to go. As an aside it is quite challenging having a stepmother in combination with a 6 year old daughter because every single fairy tale features an evil stepmother. She asks me often, why are the stepmothers always so bad?

The Girl said...

Cross stitch requires so much patience doesn't it?! I love doing it but haven't had masses of success with big projects because I always lose interest halfway through. I have just recently finished one and decided to make myself a little cross stitch wall of my framed efforts!

Keep at the anemones - you might have a sudden flash of inspiration. Could you frame it and maybe give it somebody else as a gift? Or the bookmark idea could be pretty good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails