Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Thank You, Some Messy Libraries and a Little Mid Winter Break

Today I received from divine Raina a surprise package of Verandah, Home Beautiful and Elle Decor.   All the way from Colorado.  THANK YOU LOVELY LADY.   If you haven't already, you must go visit her at If the Lampshade Fits.

I was going to  insert a rant here about exchange rates and the exorbitant price of US and UK magazines in Australia ($20 AUD for airfreight US Vogue) but it turns out that magazines are heavy, and shipping is costly, so I can only assume that in fact it is all a very  fair arrangement, for us, the newsagents and those shippers.   But I still die a little when I visit Borders because  I just cannot bring myself to pay the equivalent of a paperback book for a magazine.  

There are so many great things in these wonderful magazines, but the very very best is this, from the Studio City home of a couple who work in production and branding.  The whole house is divine but this room especially, I think is superb.  You cannot tell from the picture, but that butterfly chair is in leather......


I think the fact is that I love any room with wall to wall books.

I may have mentioned, this week even, my dislike of colour coded books.   So, let step away from the delicate libraries of Elle Decor, which I do love, like this:



and look at some real libraries.

First up, and I bet it is in many languages, that of Karl Lagerfeld.  When you think about it, you probably wouldn't expect anything less than this.  


This is Diane Von Furstenberg's in her Connecticut estate Cloudwalk:


And Nigella Lawson from 2004.  Nigella has written a lot of her extensive cookbook collection.   Clearly she was not exaggerating.  



I am off tomorrow for a mid winter break, by the sea, where I will have lots of windy walks, salty air, and plenty of sleep and laughter and reading before the open fire.   


xoxo 

((1)(2) Elle Decor (3) via Alkemie (4) via Habitually Chic (5) from House & Garden) 

13 comments:

brismod said...

Lucky you to get some fab mags, just in time for your small holiday. I do love that image of Nigella in her library. Makes me feel better about having books overflowing on the floor.

Raina Cox said...

Yay - they reached you! Driving away from the post office, I had a horrible vision of that lovely package disappearing into the void.

These photos of personal libraries are humbling. I couldn't claim to own 1/25th the number of books.

Beautiful round-up!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

That was so kind of Raina. I'm with you, I have slowed down my purchasing of my favorite import magazines. It's been hard to do but your right, $11. for let's say ELLE Decor UK makes me think twice.

I love the mid-century modern home with it's bookcases. I have loved a home with wall to wall bk's for as long as I can remember. Add such personality to a home that is hard to achieve any other way. Not to forget functionality. Have a lovely, lazy, relaxing break by the sea Jane. Sounds divine!!

xx deb

JMW said...

How I would to have floor to ceiling book shelves like that! Nigella Lawson's collection is quite amazing. I can totally relate to the piles of books on the floor, more so than the neatly stacked ones on the shelves. :)

Anonymous said...

I love a good library! Nigella's is outstanding. But I have to admit to color coding books - I can't help myself. I think it's because I paint and I lay out my paints in colors so I can't do it any other way! Thanks so much for your kind comment yesterday, Jane, it really meant a lot to me. Have the most fabulous vacation. It sounds heavenly.

The House That A-M Built said...

Oh Nigella's library... weak at the knees. Have a great break. A-M xx

Lissa Pierce said...

This is a great group of libraries. I especially love Nigela's space. I would kill to be surrounded by books like that. And I agree with the above comment about the piles of books on the floor. Love That!

Laura said...

Enjoy your trip!! If it makes you feel any better UK an Aussie mags are incredibly expensive in the US as well...and I too have a hard time prying open my wallet to pay $10 for a mere periodical!

Mise said...

I'm amazed by Nigella's library. It looks so *genuine*. Have a lovely holiday, Jane!

Paper Tree Studio said...

Thanks for the inspirational post. As part of our next renovation phase we are setting up a library 'nook' so these images are very timely. Right now my books are stacked away in nondescript boxes - will be great to let them see the light again. Hope you have a great week. Michelle

Devon said...

What a beautiful post. As one who has collected books since childhood, I so get Nigella Lawson's library and genuinely appreciate Karl Lagerfeld's quote. There is truly nothing better than a good book and a great glass of red wine on a rainy night.

Amanda (Small Acorns) said...

Nigella's library is so very her don't you think! Hope you're enjoying your break with those lovely magazines. What a nice treat.

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I do love Nigella and her library is wonderful. I always enjoyed the early series for the peeks at her house with the book-lined corridors. We have floor to ceiling bookcases but we badly need to cull. xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails