Friday, April 16, 2010

Burn baby burn

Today is a beautiful clear crisp day, with a forecast for a chilly evening.  A perfect day for the first fire of winter.   I love our fireplaces with a passion.   Part of the joy of living in a city with reasonably coldish winters is sitting in front of a fire with the rain pouring down outside. 

I don't much like empty fireplaces.  I try to keep mine filled with wood during summer so it doesn't look like such a gaping hole in the wall.    And I love the way stacked wood looks.   A bit like these: 





















Our house had a couple of fireplaces when we bought it, and when we renovated we included one in the back part of the house.   The funny thing is, our architect tried to talk us out of a fireplace (too messy) and into one of those thin line of flame things, which were big in the late 1990s.  I am so pleased we said no!

Images (1) (2) (6) Remodelista  (3) Elle Decor (4) House and Home (5) living etc, (7) Paul Massey (8)  Trendir.com

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the white floors... God I want white floors. Although I know in real life they would drive me insane...

Amanda (Small Acorns) said...

You're right Jane - there is nothing like a crackling fire in the winter. Although I did get into trouble at a friends one night when I burnt the 'wood that was stacked just to look good' (perfectly round, same sized logs) vs the wood that was out side for burning!

Debra said...

I love the kitchen photo. Funny, my husband just filled our wood box last evening as there is snow...yes SNOW coming our way this weekend. Mother nature is a fickle lady. Have a wonderful weekend.

JMW said...

Love how the firewood is stacked in these photos. If only ours could be that organized in the winter! Spring is upon us here in Kentucky, so no more fires until the fall. Although, after the winter we had, I'm more than ready to be done with the fireplace for a while. :)

Laura said...

What fabulous examples...a working fireplace is practically the equivalent of the holy grail in New York...I hope that one day I'll get one! In the meantime I'll have to settle for bi-annual visits to the one at my parents' house.

Laura said...

Just saw the house tour of your place on Apartment Therapy by the way...such a stunning home...you don't show us enough of it here on this site!

Katrina said...

Loved your AT tour! And these pictures are great :) I love the way stacked wood looks too.

Katrina x

Related Posts with Thumbnails